Clear Teaching Point or Content Objective: Define reading expectations for independent reading in readers workshop
Language Focus or Objective
When I read independently, I will focus on my (fluency, accuracy, expression, phrasing). I will practice reading __(definintion from chant)__.
- Point out the clear teaching point.
- Read through the chant once highlighting the key words (Students repeat the highlighted word)
- Sing the chant together
- point out the text feature of the vocabulary word and the definition that follows (Students repeat the highlighted word and the definition)
- Sing the chant with hand movements (Read one stanza at a time and model skill correctly, incorrectly, then correctly with book. Students hold thumbs up, then put thumbs down when poor model of fluency, accurarcy, expression or phrasing.)
- Model 4 corners
- 4 corners – move to the corner of for your own focus: use the stem to tell a partner: When I read independently, I will focus on my (fluency, accuracy, expression, phrasing). I will practice reading __(definintion)__.
Assessment: During independent reading time and at 4 corners, students can articulate what they are focusing on and what that means.